In most parts of the world, the winter season is loved by people because it brings a certain kind of freshness with it. It also depends on what part of the world you are living in when it comes to your preference of weather. People living in the tropical regions may prefer winter season more because the summer season is too warm and uncomfortable while winters are quite comforting. In the temperate region’s winters may not be preferred much but still, there are festivals like Christmas and New Year which fall in mid-winter. It is occasions like these that makes the winter season more exciting. Winter is the time for the certain type of outdoor activities too which most of the children and youngsters like skating, snowboarding, sledding, snowballs or snowmobiles. However, it is not only the fun and excitement which comes with winter. If appropriate care is not taken then winter can be full of woes. The cold weather, snow, and ice carry a huge threat for most of the children. As the temperatures drop the parents need to take special care of their children so that they remain warm and healthy. The children won’t be able to tell for themselves if they are feeling cold or not. Their body is also small in size so they lose body heat very fast compared to adults. It is the responsibility of the guardians to take precautionary measures to save their children from potential problems caused by winter. The parents have to stay careful so that they can enjoy the winter season but also make sure that they remain safe. It is important to note that the children have weak immunity power so they are at higher risk to get affected by viruses, Cold, flu, and other infections. The children are not only under threat from the illness related to these viruses and infections but they are also at risk from various winter activities like winter sports and the weather itself.
In general, there are a few things which need to be carefully considered by the parents to Protect the Children During Winter. Those points are as mentioned below:
- The children need to be told to stay away from snow blowers and snow plough.
- Don’t let the children play outside during snow storm or rough weather conditions.
- If the temperature falls to extreme levels below -25 degree Celsius then the children need to remain indoors.
- Make a strict routine for the children so that they have warm drink regularly.
- They have to be regularly checked if they are warm and dry.
- Smaller children below eight years of age should not be left with friends without adult supervision.
- It is the duty of parents to find friends for their children and teach them to look after each other.
- The parents need to make sure that the children never play outside alone.
- The children need to be guided to find a play location with a warm place near it.
- The children need to be told to play at a safe place which is far from the roads, pools or fence.
- For skincare, sunscreen skin lotions should be used in any kind of condition.
Special care should be taken to maintain appropriate clothing for the children. Warm clothes can be helpful to save the children from different cold-related problems.
Here are some points to consider as you decide on clothing to Protect the Children During Winter:
- It is better to use different layers of clothes so that the children can remove the upper layers if they feel warm.
- If the clothes and boots are wet then they have to be removed as soon as possible.
- The parents need to make sure that the children are wearing a warm cap or hat because the head catches a cold easily.
- The ears and neck need to be properly covered to protect from the cold.
- The children need to wear warm and waterproof boots of a proper size.
- A neck warmer is better instead of a scarf for children.
- If there are any strings on the clothing then they should be removed to prevent strangulation.
- Make the children wear Mitten or warm gloves.
Outdoor activities are very popular among the children during winter. Most active type of physical games does help to keep the body warm but there are some things to be considered while playing outdoors. They are as mentioned below.
- The children should be taught precautionary safety measures about playing outdoors in winter.
- Make sure that they wear safety gears and helmets when indulging in a bit risky sports.
- Children under the age of 16 should not be permitted to drive a snowmobile and smaller children under the age of 6 must not be allowed to ride too.
- The children should be wearing sunscreen and drinking enough liquid when playing outdoors during winter.
- Make them stay away from snow ploughs or snow blowers.
- Don’t let the children play near the road, fence or any water source.
- Advise the children never to touch any metal objects with the tongue.
- Don’t let the children throw snowballs at people or at cars.
- Never eat snow because it can be quite dirty.
Winter skin care
Proper skin care of children is equally important during the winter season. The dry and cold weather can harm the child’s skin badly as it is quite soft and prone to harm. So the following things should be done for proper care of skin.
- Give plenty of liquid to drink to the children.
- Apply sunscreen to the children to prevent any skin damage or sunburn.
- The regular soap should be replaced with a soap which has enough moisturizer.
- Use a natural type of moisturizers on the children to prevent any sort or irritation.
- Oils like Coconut oil which is rich in antioxidants and vitamins are the better option for children.
Most children also involve in adventure winter sports and activities during the winter season. The main safety measures to be taken while indulging in these activities are as given below.
- Never allow children less than 5 years of age to go alone down a hill.
- It is advised to wear a safety helmet either ski helmet for hockey helmet for snowmobile, skiing, sledding and risky activities.
- Handholds sleds are better than pointed sleds.
- Advise the children to sit up or kneel down on a sled to prevent any injury.
- Make the children stay away from trees, fences or other obstacles while sledding.
- Don’t let the children sled at night unless the slope is well lit.
- Leave a way for other sledders once you are on the bottom of the hill.
- The skates should be comfortable and it should have ankle support.
- Teach the children to follow the signs while skating for example yellow means to be cautious and red means to stop.
- It is not safe at all to skate on a frozen lake or a pond. The ice should be 10-20 cm thick to be safe for skating or skiing.
- Children should be instructed well by an instructor for skiing or snowboarder. They may not be fully perfectly in coordination until 10 years of age.
- Equipment and binding should be checked properly by an instructor.
- The children should carefully watch other skiers, snowboarders or obstacles like trees and fences.
- Children should be careful about the speed because more speed can cause deadly accidents.
- Make sure that the children wear wrist guards and goggles to protect from wrist injuries and eye injury.
- Always stay on the marked trails and safe areas.
- A snowmobile should be used only after a proper training.
- Never snowmobile on a lake or a river.
The children may not be able to tell their problems themselves, so the parents and guardians should be watchful regarding any signs and symptoms regarding the cold. They should look for any symptoms of frostbite like skin blisters on the feet, toe, fingers, nose or ears. In case the symptoms of frostbite are noticed then the child should be immediately brought indoors to dip the affected body part in warm water. Unusual shivering, Slurred speech, and unusual behavior are symptoms of hypothermia. In case such symptoms are noticed in the child then you should seek immediate medical help.