The word Masturbation is derived from the Latin word “masturbari” in the 18th century. It is also believed that the phrase was obtained either from Mazda which means penis or mézea μέζεα which mean genitals in Greek. Similarly, it may also have been derived from the combination of two words, manusturpare which means to defile with the hand and turbare which means to disturb. In recent times, several words and slangs are used to indicate masturbation, for example, wanking, jerking off or frigging. In this article I am going to describe benefits of masturbation, is masturbation normal or harmful nad what are the harmful habbits.
What is masturbation?
Masturbation is arousing yourself and getting sexual pleasure from touching your genitals, which may or may not lead to an orgasm. Both man and women can masturbate, and you can masturbate by yourself or with your partner. Does this sound familiar to you? We’ve all been there, and deep down you know how it works.
There are various myths and taboos which tag along with sexual issues in various cultures around the world. In most parts of the world, discussing and displaying sexual behavior in public is still considered to be offensive. This is the reason why different types of misunderstandings and confusions build up regarding sexual matters. It is one such sexual topic of which there are several myths and misunderstandings. Masturbation is a method to get self-sexual pleasure by sexually stimulating one’s genitals for sexual arousal or pleasure until the orgasm point. There are several ways of masturbation to achieve sexual climax or orgasm. Mutual masturbation, where you can masturbate with your partners in which mutual manual stimulation of the genitals or clitoris is done between the partners, and sexual pleasure can be achieved without sexual penetration. Most commonly, a person may touch, stroke or lightly massage the penis or clitoris to the point of orgasm. The sexual stimulation can be done by use of hands, fingers, common objects or sex toys like vibrators which are commonly available these days.
Is Masturbation Normal?
Well, masturbation is one of the most primary sexual activity of mankind. If you were masturbating in the nineteenth century, it would be a disease. Now, you can call it a cure, or a blessing. Yes, masturbation is completely normal, and it’s common among all the ages who can masturbate. Usually, in every person’s life, masturbation is the first sexual experience they have in their life. It’s normal to masturbate, and not everybody enjoys masturbating. Masturbation helps you to know how sexual pleasure feels, and learn what you like and what you don’t sexually.
Men and women can use masturbation to know what orgasm feels like and control or achieve them. It’s normal to masturbate whether you are by yourself, or in a couple. Many couples do masturbate together and it’s a healthy and enjoyable part of their relationship. Some people enjoy masturbation, some don’t, and it’s just a personal choice. Masturbation is a normal healthy thing to do.
Even though people have commonly practiced it for self-sexual satisfaction from ancient times, there are several stigmas attached to it. Many people still believe that masturbating is harmful to health. It has been depicted in art, architecture and literature forms in ancient eastern as well as other civilizations. Many European physicians and theologists in the 18th and 19th century indicated towards masturbation being heinous, unnatural and deplorable activity but these stigmas were dropped as we moved into the twenty-first century. Masturbation has also been attributed to being a cause of weakness and unacceptable sexual behavior in the ancient eastern culture. But now the perception towards masturbation has changed.
In recent times, it is considered as a medium to release sexual tension which can build up in time among people who do not have any sexual partners or for people whose partners don’t want to get involved in sexual activities. Therefore, masturbation is a healthy part of sexual enjoyment either it is done alone or with a partner. No evidence has been found till date regarding the relation between masturbation and physical or mental disorder. In fact, it has been attributed to having various psychological and medical benefits. There are also risks of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy in sexual intercourse so masturbation can be a safe medium to achieve sexual orgasm. You need to masturbation you need to donate sperm or to test the semen sample. The doctor may also advise masturbating if any form of sexual dysfunction is present in the men or women.
How Common is Masturbation?
People do feel awkward talking about masturbation, and this awkwardness gives rise to many false beliefs about it. Masturbation is simple achieving sexual pleasure by self-stimulation. It is very common, though people don’t talk much about it, most people masturbate. Masturbation is completely normal behavior, whether done by oneself or with a partner. The studies show that the masturbation is common in the U.S. In one study done over 1047 men, over 69% masturbated over the past four weeks. Among those men, 32% reported of masturbating one to three times a week. And 22% accepted to do less than once a week, 10% said to masturbate they did almost every day of the week, 5% acknowledged doing it daily.
Ok, I know what you’re thinking, what about women, right? Let’s jump right in. Masturbation is a bit less common among women. Only 38% of women masturbated in the past month of age 18-60, and this number rises up to about 64-70% in recent years. While among men, this number increases to about 80-85% in recent years.
In the recent study, 5000 men and women between 18 and 34 were asked if they masturbate. Though it is said that men are more likely to masturbate than women, but women are not too far behind with 83% of women in the survey admitted they masturbate daily. Among this number, a one-third of these women said they did it several times a week, and about 12% admitted to masturbating daily.
When it came to men, 94% of men who participated said they masturbate. 60% said they did several times a week and 35% admitted to masturbating daily. However, another study don’t by Indiana University found that only 57% of men masturbated last month. (2017)
But whatever be those numbers or the surveys most of us do it. And you might be wondering the possible health problems of masturbation. But before we go into that, let me share you some of the myths and facts about masturbation.
Hold on, I’ll walk you through the whole knowledge of masturbation, but before we go any further let me tell you some facts about masturbation:
Facts About Masturbation
According to the National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior, 80% of males masturbate by the age of 17, and 58% of females masturbate by age 17. As they reach adulthood, these numbers pump to 92% of men and 62% of women. Also, 70% of married people admit to masturbation.
Myths About Masturbation
- “Masturbation once thought evil and the cause of many diseases has been proven medically not to cause mental illness, physical weakness, or any type of disease or death; it is a normal aspect of human sexual development.” Domeena C. Renshaw on Eric.ed.gov
- 97% of people masturbate, and the remaining 2% might be lying: It’s a common myth that everyone masturbates, it’s most likely that the rates are higher, but not everyone masturbates.
- Masturbation can damage the genitals: It’s a myth that masturbation damage the genitals, but that’s not true. The genitals are tough, resilient organs.
- Masturbation causes mental health problems: It’s a myth, mostly by some religions that masturbation causes mental health problems. The only thing masturbation causes are guilt, and it doesn’t cause physical or mental health problems through excessive masturbation can effect your daily activities.
- Masturbation can use you up sexually: It is a myth that the number of orgasms one can have is used up by masturbation. In fact, there’s no limit on the number of orgasms one can have. Also, it doesn’t use up men’s sperm of semen. In healthy men, the testicles are always making sperm prostate is always making seminal fluid.
- Vibrators ruin the sex for women: let me ask you a question. Does taking a flight to ruin your experience on taking a car? No, it just takes you to your destination faster. It goes the same for sex, the sexual parts of the body responds to erotic actions no matter where it comes from. The vibrators product intense erotic sensations, just to reach orgasm faster.
- Masturbation will not make your penis to shrink.
- Masturbation does not cause cancer.
- People still masturbate when they are in relationships.
- Men often use pornography to masturbate.
- Masturbation doesn’t cause acne.
Is Masturbation Normal or Harmful?
Back to what I was saying, about the possible health problems of masturbation. So what’s the answer? Does masturbation cause health problems? Allow me to explain. By now you’ll have realized that there are lots and lots of benefits of masturbation and it’s a completely natural common thing to do. There are lots of myths claiming that masturbation harms you and cause lots of effects in your health. Actually, there are no such physically side effects of masturbation. However, excessive masturbation can surely do releases your daily life and relationships.
- Guilt: Due to cultural religious beliefs, some people might feel guilty about masturbation. Masturbation is not wrong, but you may still hear messages and myths about masturbation that it is “shameful” or “dirty”.
- Addiction to masturbation: Some people do develop a hard addiction to masturbation. Due to this addiction, it surely does affect your daily life. Addiction to masturbation can also harm your relationship, work, studies, and other parts of life. If you think you have additction to masturbation, speak with doctors or counselors. Or do some activities when you get the urge to masturbate like writing or indulge yourself in some activities.
Masturbation does not lead to health problems, but the addiction to masturbation or excessive masturbation might affect you. There are no such health problems due to masturbation.
When is it Normal?
As it is mentioned earlier, masturbation was known to be a sign of perversion or mental disorder in the past but the perception towards masturbation has totally changed today. A lot of scientific studies and research have totally discarded the old school beliefs related to masturbation. Nowadays masturbation is a totally normal sexual activity which is pleasing, self-satisfying, acceptable and totally safe for an individual. It is a good way to get self-sexual pleasure and it can be done throughout life in adult age irrespective of Gender. It is also a good method to release sexual tension because it can help to reduce and prevent sexual assaults or sex-related crimes in society.
Masturbation is totally a healthy and normal activity but it may become a problem if it becomes a cause of distress or some sort of compulsive behavior. In that condition, it may also interfere with the daily activities of a person. It also becomes a problem if it starts to become a reason for inhibition of sexual relation with the sexual partner.
When is it Harmful to Health?
No, masturbation is not harmful at all. As a matter of fact, medical fraternity labels masturbation as a natural, harmless and easy method of sexual pleasure and expression for both men and women. Masturbation does not cause any kind of physical injury, weakness or problems in the person. It is totally a part of normal sexual behavior. According to some culture and religious beliefs, masturbation is a sinful or unacceptable behavior which may result in sort of guilt or negative mentality. Such kind of belief and stigmas surrounding masturbari should be avoided.
But here’s the interesting thing. Masturbation does have lots of benefits. There are even researches and studies about benefits of masturbation.
Some of the benefits are
- Masturbation reduces stress and releases tension.
- It enhances sleep quality.
- Masturbation boosts the concentration.
- It elevates one’s mood.
- Masturbation relieves menstrual cramps.
- It improves sex.
- Masturbation is safer than any kind of sex, it can’t get you STD’s or get you pregnant.
- It helps to explore your body and how to give yourself more sexual pleasure.
- Masturbation often leads to orgasm, releasing endorphins, triggering a positive feeling in the body.
Many experts have suggested according to scientific studies that masturbation can be an excellent medium towards the improvement of sexual health or better relationships. It is the best way to find out the ways which can be most pleasing to yourself by exploring your own body. You can share the experience with your sexual partner and this can help to make the relationship better. Some partners also consider masturbation as a way to enhance intimacy between them by using mutual masturbation to discover the more sexual excitement and better sexual relationship.