Turmeric is the spice that comes from turmeric plant which is commonly used in the Asian foods. It is mostly used as the main spice in the curry. It has a bitter taste and is frequently used for flavoring and coloring the curry, butters, cheeses and mustards. Not only is it used as a spice, but is also used for medicinal purposes. The root of turmeric is used to prepare medicines, all over the world. It is mostly used in Ayurvedic medicines. The root contains yellow colored chemicals which are known as curcumin and is frequently used to color foods and for cosmetic products. The oil that is extracted from the turmeric is used in perfumes. People often get confused with Javanese turmeric root which is also known as Curcuma zedoaria. Turmeric is on the top list of the medicinal herbs which has been mentioned frequently in science and in the studies of the herbs. Currently there have been thousands of articles published about the health benefits of the turmeric and its healing compounds. Much research and study have shown the benefits of turmeric for our body and brain.
Among so many benefits, here we are going to list some of the major health benefits of turmeric:
- Rich in bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties: Turmeric is very rich in bioactive compounds with medicinal properties which has been used in Asian countries for thousands of years. It has been widely used as spices and medicine. The bioactive compounds which are found in turmeric are known as curcuminoids which is the most important part of curcumin. Curcumin is the most essential and active ingredient in turmeric. It contains extremely powerful anti-inflammatory effects. It is also a very strong antioxidant.
- Anti-inflammatory: Curcumin, which is the most important compound of turmeric helps in controlling inflammation. It is found to be quite a lot more effective than aspirin and ibuprofen for reducing inflammation. Inflammation can cause several diseases such as ulcerative cells, high cholesterol, cancer, arthritis and chronic pain. Inflammation puts the lives of the people at high risk of having a serious illness. Curcumin targets several steps in the inflammatory path at the molecular level. It is found that curcumin blocks the NF-KB, which is a molecule that plays a vital role in many chronic diseases.
- Anticoagulants/Antiplatelets: Turmeric is very effective in slowing and preventing blood clotting as it does not have any side effects in comparison to medications that are generally bought in the medical stores. These medicines may treat the patient, but has high chances of causing side effects and ibuprofen overdose is one the most common problem caused due to the side effect. According to the research done by the researchers,it has been found that turmeric is actually a better option for those who are suffering from vascular thrombosis.
- Antis-depressants: According to the study done on the people who were suffering from major depressive disorder (MDD) which is also known as manic depression, to find out if the cur cumin which is found in turmeric treats the patient or not? Is it as effective as Prozac or not? The result came and it showed that the cur cumin was as effective as Prozac in managing the depression. It also showed that it is the safe therapy for treating patients who are suffering from mild depression.
- Increases antioxidant capacity: The reason behind aging and many other diseases is believed to be oxidative damage. The oxidative damage causes the aging and other diseases. It involves free radicals, which are highly reactive with the unpaired electrons. Free radicals tend to react with the important organic substances like proteins, fatty acids or DNA. The reason why antioxidants are so beneficial, is that they help to protect our body from those free radicals. Curcumin contains antioxidants which can neutralize those free radicals due to its chemical structure. It also helps to boost the activity of the body’s antioxidant enzymes. Curcumin blocks the free radicals and then stimulated the antioxidant mechanisms of the body.
- Manages arthritis : As we have told earlier, cur cumin is a very powerful anti-inflammatory and pain reducing compounds. A study done on the arthritis patients to compare the benefits of cur cumin on their treatment in comparison to the arthritis drugs which increases the risk of developing a leaky gut and heart disease. The result of the study showed the highest number of improvements in the patients who were treated with cur cumin than the patients with the arthritis drugs.
- Treatment of cancer : As the cur cumin has been very tackling for several diseases, scientists began to do research if it also had beneficial effects against cancer. The research done by the numerous laboratories has shown that the curcumin does contain anticancer effects. They have found that it is very effective in destroying cancer cells and prevent its growing. The best effects that it had on being bowel cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer and stomach cancer cells. In 2007, from the American study it was revealed that the combined curcumin with chemotherapy destroyed more bowel cancer cells than the chemotherapy alone. Cur cumin fights against the cancer development, growth and spread. It is also reported that it blocked the development of cancer causing enzymes in rodents. So it is proved that cur cumin helps naturally in the treatment of various cancers.
- Helps to control blood sugar level : Curcumin is quite a lot effective in controlling blood sugar level as it has insulin resisting capacity. Even the doctors suggest the patients who are suffering from the diabetes. Adding turmeric in the diet is one of the best treatment in controlling the blood sugar level. A research has also shown that the curcumin improves insulin sensitivity 400 times more than the diabetes drug. It has also been proved that the curcumin helps to reverse many of the issues that are related to insulin resistance and hyperglycemia.
- Treatment of gastrointestinal issues : Digestive and stomach complaints are very common all over the world. The ability of curcumin in managing inflammatory bowel disease found that many patients stopped to take their prescribed medicines because their condition were improved by consuming curcumin. The drugs which are prescribed for inflammatory bowel disease does help in reducing pain, but their side effects damage the intestinal lining making the condition even worse. The supplement with curcumin doesn’t have any kind of side effects because of its anti inflammatory properties.
- Regulates cholesterol : Oxidative stress is one of the main reasons to damage inside the blood vessels and damages the arteries. When the arteries get damaged, cholesterol starts to construct to patch up the damaged areas which cause the increment in cholesterol level. The medical drugs which are usually prescribed to bring down the cholesterol level does work in decreasing the high level of cholesterol, but it also has dangerous side effects which can cause oxidative stress resulting in high blood sugar level. Nowadays, medical doctors are getting more aware of these dangerous side effects of the medicines and are now suggesting the natural alternatives like consuming turmeric and fish oil. It has also been found that consuming turmeric is more effective than the medications in treating high cholesterol.
- Painkiller : Among so many Health benefits of turmeric, painkiller is it’s another benefit. Curcumin has been able to able to cure pain. It has served as a natural pain reliever.