Ginger also called Zingiber officinale, is one of the widely used spices all around the world. Not only it is spicy but is also very healthy and tasty. It is fully loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds which are quite a lot beneficial for the body and brain. This is widely used as the dietary condiment all over the world today. Ginger tonics have been used for treating ailments for more than 4700 years and is still used for its medicinal properties. Ginger root consists of 115 different chemicals and is very beneficial for the human body. It can be consumed fresh, powdered, dried and also in the form of oil. This is commonly used in the Asian dishes and is mostly produced in Nepal, Jamaica, India, Fiji, Australia and Indonesia. As it is used in dishes, we can find many Health benefits of ginger.
Health benefits of Ginger
Ginger has many benefits to the human body and we are going list out some of the benefits below:
- Fights cancer: Ginger is a very powerful cancer fighter. It is best known for treating ovarian cancer for many years. A research by The University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center has revealed that the ginger helps to destroy the ovarian cancer cells. It has also been found that those who consume ginger root quite often have lower levels of colon inflammation which reduces the risk of colon cancer.
- Contains Anti-inflammatory properties: Ginger is very rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Its root is best known for containing such properties. The anti-inflammatory properties which are responsible for reducing inflammation are known as Gingerols. As per the research was done by the researchers, it has been found that the anti-inflammation compounds are in charge of reducing the pain and improving the mobility for those who are suffering from osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. According to the studies done by the clinical officials, it has been revealed that the 75% of arthritis patients and 100% of muscular discomfort experiencing patients have experienced relief of pain and swelling by the gingerols compounds.
- Helps in treating heartburn or acidity: Acidity or heartburn is the common problem of people nowadays. Millions of people are suffering from indigestion and acidity. Most of us take acid-blockers, medicines from the pharmacy, but we will be saving some money if we gave a try to ginger for the treatment. These acids blocking medicines increase the risks of bone fractures, pneumonia, malabsorption issues and cancer. So instead of using such medicines, we can try ginger. The ginger contains anti-ulcer and anti-helicobacter pylori which is a bacteria that is linked to an ulcer. According to the research, it has been found that the ginger works 6-8 times better than the drugs found in the medicine store.
- Stroke and heart disease: Ginger contains anti-blood-clotting components which play a vital role in heart attacks and stroke.
- Fixes digestive issues: Ginger helps to relieve the gastrointestinal irritation, stimulate saliva, bile production, suppress gastric contractions and movement of foods/fluids through the GI tract.
- Helps in treating nausea: Another benefit of ginger is it helps in treating nausea. Drinking Zingiber officinale tea or chewing raw is a common home remedy that has been followed for many years for nausea. Usually, a pregnant woman experiences morning sickness and during that time she can use ginger to relieve nausea and vomiting. Drinking ginger tea during the winter season is a good way of keeping the body warm.
- Boosts immune system: It has always been recorded for many years that ginger helps in boosting the immune system of the body. It helps to break down the toxins in our organs and is very effective for warming the body.
- Malabsorption: Improper indigestion will cause inappropriate assimilation of the nutrients in the food and may result in malabsorption. When the malabsorption occurs our body will suffer from nutrient deficiencies and that is why ginger is very important as it helps in proper digestion. Proper digestion and metabolism of the food play a vital role in boosting the immunity power in our body.
- Kills bacteria and reduces its infection: Among so many Health benefits of ginger, killing bacteria and enhancing immune system is its another benefit. According to the research, ginger is very effective in killing Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes in comparison to any other antibiotics. Mostly when these bacteria infect the body, people tend to buy antibiotics such as chloramphenicol, ampicillin and tetracycline from the medical store but their antibacterial ability doesn’t meet up to the antibacterial ability of ginger. Those two bacteria are tremendously common in hospitals and cause complications to an immune compromised patient.
- Fungal infections: Ginger plays a vital role in resisting fungal infections. As per the research was done by the Carleton University on the 29 different plant species, ginger is found to be very effective in curing the fungal infection.
- Improves diabetes: Gingerols, which is found in the ginger helps in the improvement of diabetes and enhances the insulin sensitivity. According to the study done by the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, they have found that the ginger helps in suppressing sorbitol accumulation in the human blood cells and improves diabetic complications such as diabetic retinopathy.
- Improves brain function and protection against Alzheimer’s disease: Aging processes can be accelerated due to oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. It is believed that these stress and inflammation are the key drivers of Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive turndown. The research done in the animals have shown that the antioxidants and bioactive compounds that are found in ginger can reduce inflammatory responses that occur in the brain. In the research, it also found that the ginger helps in enhancing the brain function directly, improves reaction time and boosts working memory.
Here are some vitamins and minerals that are found in ginger:
- Dietary fibre
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
Ginger is one of the few foods that is called “superfood” because of its benefits.