What does blood in semen indicate? Why Would There Be Blood in Your Sperm? Is It a Dangerous Condition?
Blood in semen can stress out any men. Well, if you are under 40, there is no need to be serious. This problem which is also called hematospermia usually resolves on its own. Although blood in semen is benign, one should not ignore its causes, symptoms, and treatments. Understanding the problem to its core will help to get rid of it easily. If you are above 40 and experiencing repeated blood in semen then, it is a warning signal.
Ok! Now the question is:
How To Know The Cases In Which Blood In Semen Is Dangerous?
Aleece Fosnight, a urology physician’s assistant and sex counsellor with American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counsellors, and Therapists explained that change in color of semen from white to red or brownish may suggest burst blood vessel in the prostate. He further pointed out that if this stops within a few days, it is fine. If not, medical assistance is required. Similarly,
If you are above 40 and the blood in semen continues, visit your doctor for the tests.
Let’s first see the causes in detail.
You might also want to read Gonorrhea: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Prevention & Treatment
So, What Are The Causes?
Tumors in the prostate, bladder, testes, or seminal vesicles can also cause blood in semen.
- Traces of blood in semen can also be the result of inflammation of any organs involved in the male genitals. This inflammation can be due to irritation from calculi (stones) in the prostate, seminal vesicles, bladder, or urethra.
- Infection in any organs related to male genitals is also one of the main causes. Viruses, bacteria, or fungi can infect any gland or tube of male genitals.
- Blockage in the ejaculatory duct is another cause for hematospermia. The obstruction breaks the blood vessels causing the blood in semen.
- Vascular cysts can also cause the problem of blood in semen.
- Hypertension, Leukemia, and chronic liver disease are also the reasons for blood in semen.
- Medical procedures like the prostate exam, biopsy or vasectomy can also cause blood in your semen.
- Physical trauma can also be the cause.
- Sexually transmitted diseases also cause the blood in semen.
Symptoms Of Hematospermia
Although symptoms of blood in semen depend upon the causes behind it, following are the common symptoms:
- Painful urination accompanied by blood
- Painful ejaculation
- Swelling of sex organs
- Fever with high blood pressure
- Lower back pain
How Is It Diagnosed?
Diagnostic tests like urinalysis, imaging studies such as Ultrasound and MRI can be done. Along with this, your doctor may also take complete medical history. Similarly, physical exam and rectal exam may also be taken. Tests for prostate cancer can also be recommended.
So, What Should Be Done As Treatment?
Treatment of hematospermia depends upon its underlying causes as well as symptoms. Here are the treatments which are commonly offered:
- For infections, antibiotics may be given.
- For inflammation, anti-inflammatory medications may be prescribed.
- If the cause is leukemia, high blood pressure or liver disease, treatment as per the condition is done.
- In most of the cases, especially if you are below 40 the problem resolves on its own. In such cases, any type of treatment is not required. However, if the problem persists, further evaluation and help from medical professionals is essential.
When To See The Doctor?
If you are above 40, you should see the doctor as soon as you can find traces of blood in your semen. Blood in semen with painful urination and swelling of sex organs can be the symptoms of prostate cancer.
If you are under 40, the problem usually does not last long. So, the treatment is also not required. Nevertheless, if the problem persists followed by various other symptoms, you should visit doctor.
What Else Can Be Done?
Blood in semen can stress one a lot. Stress and tension can increase the problem. Instead, take a rest and calm down. If you have a swelling problem, you can apply ice to the affected area for 10 to 20 minutes, but no longer than that. Drinking a glass of cranberry juice can also help you with the problem.
Well, any problem related to our health should be taken utmost care of. Blood in semen can be benign but also can be a warning signal of some chronic diseases.