A group of microorganism found in soil, water, and hospitals wherever they will cause serious infections in upset people and are usually resistant to antibiotics. Acinetobacter infection will be isolated from several sources together with drinking and surface water, soil, biodegradable pollution and differing types of foods. It may additionally cause urinary tract and wound infections. Acinetobacter baumannii is very contagious. A minimum of 1 / 4 of healthy people carries Acinetobacter harmlessly on their skin. However, in hospitals, some strains, notably Acinetobacter baumannii will cause infections together with pneumonia and bacteremia (bloodstream infection).
Increasing risk of an Acinetobacter infection
Anyone will get an Acinetobacter baumannii infection. You’re additional doubtless to induce an infection from Acinetobacter baumannii if you have got a disease like diabetes or COPD. You’re additionally at higher risk of obtaining this infection if:
- You have a weak immune system. Your immune system helps defend you from obtaining sick. It’s going to be weak as a result of you’re unwell or have had recent surgery.
- You utilize poor hygiene. This includes not laundry your hands well or long enough.
- You have got been within the medical care unit (ICU) or are on a ventilator (breathing machine).
- You have got had a recent surgery or procedure. You’re additionally at higher risk if you have got open wounds caused by an accident or injury.
- You have got been close to somebody who has Acinetobacter baumannii.
- You have got taken antibiotic drugs recently.
- You have got a tube. This might include a Foley or central venous catheter.
Causes of Acinetobacter infection
- Pneumonia: Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. Acinetobacter baumannii will get into your lungs through your mouth or nose. It’s going to cause respiratory disease if you have got been within the intensive care unit or if you’re on a ventilator.
- Blood infection: A blood infection could occur if the germ enters through a catheter placed in your vein. It also can happen once an infection from another place in your body spreads to your blood.
- Meningitis: Meningitis is an infection of the brain or medulla spinals. This could happen once surgery that was done on your brain or spine. It’s going to additionally happen if you have got a shunt or drain in your head.
- Urinary tract infection: A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. This might happen once the germ enters your body wherever you urinate. It’s going to additionally enter through a catheter that’s used to drain your urine.
- Skin or wound infection: Any skin gap or wound will get infected with the germ.
Symptoms of an Acinetobacter baumannii infection
- A part of orange, rough skin with blisters
- A cough, chest pain, or hassle respiration
- Burning feeling while you urinate
- Sleepiness, headaches, or a stiff neck
- Fever, Red, swollen, warm, or painful skin areas or wounds
Diagnosis of Acinetobacter baumannii infection
- Culture: A sample of your blood, urine, or tissue is distributed to the laboratory. A culture might show that germ is causing your infection.
- Chest x-ray: A chest x-ray could be an image of your lungs and heart. Your healthcare supplier could use an x-ray to seem for signs of pneumonia or different infections.
- Lumbar puncture: healthcare suppliers collect a sample of fluid from around your spinal cord employing a needle. The fluid is distributed to a laboratory for tests. This test could also be done to visualize for infection, bleeding around your spinal cord, and different issues.
Treatment of Acinetobacter baumannii infection
- Antibiotic drugs: Antibiotic medicine is going to be used to treat your infection. Your health care provider could provide you with over one antibiotic drug to require at a time. He additionally might have to change your drugs over time.
- Pain medicine: you may want medicine to require away or decrease pain.
- Antipyretics: This drug is given to decrease a fever.
How to prevent the spread of Acinetobacter baumannii?
- Wash your hands: Use soap and water to clean your hands once you utilize the bathroom before you touch food, and when you a cough or sneeze. You’ll use germ-killing hand cleaner if you do not have water. Continuously wash your hands after they are dirty.
- Keep wounds covered: Keep any wounds clean and covered with a bandage till they’re recovered.
- Continuously follow your health care provider’s directions after you take antibiotic drugs: end all of your medicine, even though you are feeling better. Germs might become resistant (harder to kill) if you are doing not do that. Don’t take antibiotics unless your healthcare supplier tells you to.